- This event has passed.
Setting and Enforcing Occupancy Standards That Avoid Fair Housing Trouble
October 23 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Live Webinar – Hosted by Vendome Real Estate Media
Can you be found guilty of housing discrimination for applying an occupancy policy limiting all units to two people per bedroom? According to several recent court rulings, the answer is yes.
Even though, as a general rule, HUD considers the two-person/bedroom standard reasonable under the Fair Housing Act, HUD has indicated that it may not be reasonable in every situation.
In this one-hour webinar, attorney Theresa L. Kitay will discuss how to update your occupancy policy in light of recent court rulings and with the aim of heading off potential fair housing trouble. You’ll learn how to base occupancy decisions on:
- The needs—and rights—of families with children
- The ages of the family members
- The layouts of your apartments
- The capacity of your building’s systems to accommodate residents
- Local laws meant to curtail overcrowding
- Special circumstances, such as student housing
This presentation is geared to:
- Owners of multifamily housing properties
- Managers of multifamily housing properties
- Leasing agents
- Attorneys and other rental property advisors